Friday, December 2, 2011

Reverb 11 - Whimsy

Whimsy: Recall a fairy tale-esque moment from 2011. An epic kiss? A triumphant victory? A Wonderland-esque adventure? How did this momentous or fanciful happening affect your outlook?


Our second day in Anchor Wat several of us rented bicycles and pedaled two miles to the park.  Navigating the motorbike infested streets kicked my adrenaline into high gear. The heat was oppressive, high 90s, and humid.  I had been effected by the combination of polluted air and air-conditioned rooms.  My sinuses were burning and the sweat dripping from my pores gave me a slight chill, but I was up for the adventure.  The bikes were rickety and the streets an obstacle course, but I loved every second.  The air was thick with fragrant street food, and buzzed from the hum of cicadas.  I was in another world, an interloper on holiday, eavesdropping on the another culture.  We took a route to the less traveled Wats, and unlike the ones we encountered the day before, the ruins were empty.  The rush of freedom was palpable.  I was lost, and I was found.

No comments:

Post a Comment