Thursday, December 9, 2010

Party

Today's Reverb 10  prompt: Party

What social gathering rocked your socks off in 2010? Describe the people, music, food, drink, clothes, shenanigans.

Summer often arrives late in Los Angeles, but on this particular evening in late June the day's warmth clung to the air as the sun went down.  I was with friends having a casual, yummy dinner in their garden.  Moods were light, conversation easy.  Darkness had struck this family several months before, but the gray veil appeared to be lifting.  In fact, post dinner, my friend was eager to get out and go to a book party I knew about in the neighborhood.  Her husband, tired after a long week at work, was content to stay home with their three year old.  We put on lip gloss, fluffed our hair, and journeyed out to what I assumed would be an hour, two at the most, of literary chat.  The hosts' friend had indeed recently published a book, but the non fiction tale was seemingly just a ruse to have a big bash.  The backyard glowed with candles and white lights strewn in the lush hedges and oaks.  Alcohol and food flowed freely.  I ran into friends, old colleagues, and writers whose work I admired.  The night had a vibrancy and heavenly scent from the fragrant night blooming jasmine.  The conversation was stimulating, witty, even flirtatious.  It was the type of night I didn't want to end, so it didn't.  My friend and I, with one more in tow, hopped to another party I knew about conveniently located several miles away.  More familiar faces, more laughs, a bite of red velvet birthday cake in the kitchen.  Way past midnight we made our exit.  I returned my friend to her doorstep which led to a nightcap on her patio with her sleepy mate whom we woke up to tell about our nocturnal adventures.   The evening was spontaneous, fueled by the promise of summer, and unexpected. 

No comments:

Post a Comment