Friday, December 31, 2010

Stepping Forward

New Year's Eve is for dreaming.  I sensed the anticipation and excitement of the approaching new year as I ambled with a friend in Hampstead in the shadow of the Heath. Faces were bright, pleasantries plentiful. I took the long way home, through Notting Hill, down Portobello Road and along Westbourne Grove.  Shops, whose windows were decorated with twinkling pine trees, evening gowns and champagne glasses, were closing early.  Enthusiasm seemed to turn contemplative as twilight fell.  What will transpire in the coming year?  What possibilities will unfold?  What disappointments lurk in the gloom?  What challenges will I encounter?  What fears will I overcome?  Time, a man made marker.  A way to project and reflect.  From one day to the next we walk into the unknown.  What do I wish for?  To step forward into 2011 with gratitude, openness and grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment