Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Community

Today's Reverb 10 prompt:  Community

Where have you discovered community, online or otherwise, in 2010? What community would you like to join, create or more deeply connect with in 2011?

One of the positive aspects of my job, when I was working, was being a part of the creative community in Hollywood.  Initially, I didn't feel the absence, but after several months the void became pronounced. Looking back, my desire to fill this space snowballed into the discovery of many wonderful communities, the majority of them online.   Mondo Beyondo was my introduction into the world of online workshops and classes, and the impetus for creating this blog.  Amelia Critchlow's Experimental Art E-Course gave me the excuse to buy watercolors, acrylics and glitter, AND spend my summer afternoons making art.  My quest to shoot photographs everyday led to joining Flickr's 365 Days project.  The most surprising, and satisfying by product of these groups is the interaction.  The comments someone leaves behind after a blog post or the feedback I give on a photograph is proof that there's a living, breathing community online bursting with support and compassion.

I've always drifted in and out of my yoga commitment, in part because I never felt connected to a studio.  After a friend kept raving about her favorite place in the valley, a twenty to thirty minute drive depending on traffic, I decided to meet her for a class.   It was exactly what I was looking for, but I told myself I couldn't take on the commute.  I also projected into the future, a future when I was working again, and rationalized I'd never be able to get to classes.  I didn't want to fall in love with a yoga studio I couldn't commit to forever.   Five months ago I ignored the chatter and started to attend classes.  The effect on my practice and spiritual growth has been profound.

In 2011 I'd like my ties to these communities to deepen.  I'm also ready to reengage with Hollywood.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE this image too! Can we do a yoga class + hike one day? Maybe a sleepover!

    ReplyDelete