Friday, December 3, 2010

Moment

Today's REVERB10 prompt:  MOMENT
Pick one moment during which you felt most alive this year. Describe it in vivid detail (texture, smells, voices, noises, colors). (Author: Ali Edwards)

Technically this moment happened in 2009, but it was less than a year ago, mid December, and it resonates as a significant memory, one I ascribe to the past year.  At 2 am on a foggy morning in Thailand I found myself on a motorcycle sandwiched between two Thai locals.  We had just left the Bebop, a crowded jazz and blues bar on the outskirts of Pai, and were following the river back to town.  My white cotton skirt and flip flips were inadequate protection against the cold air, but I surrendered to the chill.  I remember giggling as the bike bounced across the potholed streets which several hours ago were bustling with tourists buying trinkets at the night market.  The silence that proceeds a new day was hanging in the mist.  A lone roster crowed.  I had come to Pai eight days earlier based on recommendations from friends and guidebooks describing it as a sleepy hillside town offering trekking, culinary feasts, live music and a laid back vibe.  Nestled in a green valley with hot springs, rice fields and a lovely lazy river it was too good to pass up.  Pai lived up to its accolades, but unfortunately, my concerns about traveling alone manifested there.  A destination heralded for savoring the moment illuminated my loneliness.  I surrendered to the companionship of of my book during meals.  Ennui and old demons wanted to settle in, but I found the resolve to chase them away and cleared space for meeting new people, tourists and locals alike.  The latter whom took me to the infamous bar I had read about miles from town. The moment on the motorcycle reminded me to let go even if my fears manifest, enjoy the journey even if it is unknown and uncomfortable, and let life unfold for it will be grander than I could ever have imagined.

1 comment:

  1. What a fabulous adventure - and a really great lesson from it. Impressive.

    ReplyDelete