Wednesday, May 16, 2012

LP

Chatting with a music supervisor whose job it is to supply movies with a soundtrack of up and coming artists, I asked her the most memorable performance she saw in the last six months.  Without hesitation she replied, "LP".   I tucked the information away until later when I could type the initials into Google.  LP is a wisp of woman, unconventional in every way.  She is a rock artist and pop songwriter who caused a stir at SXSW in 2006.  Ironically, it was the placement of her song in a recent Citibank commercial that gave her national attention.  My search revealed she was playing downtown at the Grammy Museum, a venue I didn't know existed.   Her performance in this tiny intimate theater proceeded by a 45 minute Q and A was mesmerizing and powerful.  She whistled, played the ukele, and hit impossibly high notes.  She stood still on the stage, blasting away, in full command of the audience with her haunting talent.  I had goosebumps, a performance and evening to remember. 


No comments:

Post a Comment