Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Looking for the Artist in Me

The aspect of my job I loved the most was accessing the right side of my brain.  Hearing pitches, breaking stories,  and developing concepts for potential television series satiated my creative mind.  In hindsight it is not surprising that several months into my sabbatical I was hankering for a way to flex this muscle.  The purchase of my Canon Rebel resulted soon after.  Whenever I met with a writer about an idea I would assess what it is he/she wanted to say.  What was their point of view and what made it unique from the writer who just left my office or the one waiting in the lobby.  I'm now asking  myself these same questions.  Surprisingly, I am going further and further outside of my comfort zone to find the answer.  In fact, I just enrolled in an online art class.   I'm now the proud owner of a sketch pad, oil paints, pastels and brushes.  Pictionary intimidates me, so this class is like leaping from a high dive into frigid water.  The first assignment was doodling.  I couldn't help thinking how much easier the exercise would be if I was sitting in a conference room, bored, making etchings in the margins of my notepad.  The picture was taken on Abbot Kinney in Venice.

2 comments:

  1. An online art class?! Oh please, tell me more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's the link to the class. http://www.ameliacritchlow.co.uk/section354449.html

    Just started week two. Today's assignment is drawing with the right brain -- just what I need!

    I'm loving it and would highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete