Monday, June 28, 2010

Alchemy

I'm encountering one of those particular times when the landscape seems lusher, conversations are more evocative, and laughter is plentiful.  My future, albeit unknown, beams with possibility and excitement.  If I knew what created this perfect alchemy of joy I'd bottle it and move to Kauai.  Is it due to more hours of sunlight, Mars being in Virgo, or endless nights of peaceful slumber?  Perhaps my general well being can be attributed to my friendships with women.  During a recent lecture at Stanford, the head of psychiatry said that one of the best things a man could do for his health is to be married to a woman whereas for a woman, one of the best things she could do for her health was nurture her relationships with her girlfriends.  He went on to explain that  women connect with each other differently and provide support systems that help each other deal with stress and difficult life experiences.  Physically this quality "girlfriend time" creates more serotonin -- the benefits equivalent to a sweaty hour at the gym.  This finding doesn't surprise me.  I've always had the ability to meet and befriend amazing women.  A gift I don't take lightly.  My oldest friend is more like a sister.  S and I still sob uncontrollably with laughter when we retell the tale of the day in first grade when I gave her a candy wax bottle during recess, the admonishing nun who made her spit it out and her ultimate confession naming me as the supplier of the contraband. S's nearly choking to death and my subsequent punishment bonded us for life.  Looking at last weeks calendar it's obvious why I feel so good.  I spent lots of quality time with many of the sensational women in my life.  I raise my glass to them for making my journey an exceptional one.

4 comments:

  1. is it wrong for a guy to agree with this too? I have always had an easier time bonding with (platonic) female friends. Your post reminded me, I once published a piece on my utter failure to fit in at my first (and last) guys' poker night. I used to think of this as my failure, but maybe I am just a serotonin addict.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's why the lecturer recommended for men to get married! Being a serotonin addict is good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MG - wonderful post & gorgeous photo. Know that your girlfriends feel the same about you. Some of my very best memories are our adventures and long talks about life and love. Wish I were in LA to raise a glass with you, but instead, I will raise a glass in NYC - xo, CT

    ReplyDelete