Sunday, June 13, 2010

Congestion

Weekend.  Weekday.  Midday.  Mid-morning.  It no longer matters.  If you live in LA and you are driving you are most likely encountering traffic.  There used to be short cuts and strategic routes to minimize getting from point A to point B, but not any more.  The traffic impacts everything -- dating, job hunting, socializing.  It has even replaced the weather as my favorite topic of inconsequential conversation.  I find myself calculating the amount of time I'll be in the car and weighing it against the value of an upcoming  experience.  Is it worth having dinner with a friend cross town if it will cost 90 minutes in the car?  Is the fantastic job opportunity even a possibility if  I will need to be driving two hours a day?   The traffic prism through which I evaluate my life in LA is like a widget on my desktop, and it's getting harder to harder to ignore.  The picture was taken at a red light on Venice Boulevard.

No comments:

Post a Comment