Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Louie

My jaunt to Northern California exemplifies my favorite way to travel.  I prefer to take up residency in a home for a few weeks rather than check into a hotel.  I love falling into a routine of languid mornings around the kitchen table followed by yoga, a museum exhibit or simply sampling white nectarines at the local farmers market.  Home cooked meals with new and old friends, tasting wine from vineyards near and far or venturing out to the newest, press worthy restaurant is the perfect ending to the ideal day.  Fluid schedules, accidental discoveries, guidebooks left unread leave room for the unexpected . . . like falling in love with Louie.  The most adorable welsh terrier who belongs to our generous host, had me at the first sniff.  Our walks immediately changed my status and mindset from tourist to local.  Last night on our way home from a sunset stroll a golden moon ascended over the water I looked over at my new friend, smiled and continued up the hill to the warm house where dinner was waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment