Thursday, July 22, 2010

Light Bulbs

While walking along the blustery shore in the shadow of the Golden Gate Bridge I had an epiphany. I needed to make a decision and with the help of a sage friend I was able to recognize thought patterns and core beliefs that often cloud my judgment from making the best choice.  Shielding our faces from gusts of cold air whipping across the sea made our trek comical. It is after all July . . . in California. In our puffy down jackets we trudged on. My friend continued to ask me key questions. Light bulbs were popping with each inquiry. I quickly stumbled into the truth. I unwittingly seek insurmountable situations, ones in direct conflict with my fundamental values, all because I think the outcome will be sweeter if I rise to the occasion. I have a hard time recognizing the uncomplicated road even when it's at my doorstep. No pain no gain. Life isn't a bowl of cherries. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Mantras deeply rooted in my psyche playing over and over again as truths.  I've often wondered how I'm able to ignore the red flags that clearly present themselves.  With the help of a friend, I just received a gigantic clue.

No comments:

Post a Comment