Saturday, July 3, 2010

Me and My Tripod

Although I have embraced the routine of shooting my picture everyday, I have encountered a surprising challenge.  I've exhausted every inch of my house and yard for potential backdrops.  I've taken advantage of the morning light in my bedroom, the afternoon rays in my garden, and twilight in my living room.  I will never accomplish the next 305 days of this task if I don't take my tripod out for a spin.   I need the stimulus of a new location, but something is holding me back. I've gotten comfortable pursing my lips and throwing back my head for the camera when there are no witnesses, but the thought of setting up a shot and hopping into frame with possible onlookers makes me shy. A trait I typically don't associate with my adult self. As a young child at social gatherings I'd initially cling to my mother's side finding comfort in the conversations she had with her friends. Eventually I'd acclimate and integrate with the other kids who were playing dodge ball or mother may I. When it was time to leave I had inevitably made new friends. As I got older, shyness was no longer an issue, so I find it fascinating that this photography endeavor has touched upon this recessed trait. My house has become my mother's pant leg. Perhaps this week I will leave my comfort zone and join the other kids in a game of bloody murder.

1 comment:

  1. I think I would feel the same way. I've got a small table tripod and a full size. To tell you the truth I might even be shy taking my picture at home, alone. I think that might be a topic to explore journaling - what's behind the reluctance to take my own picture?

    ReplyDelete