Wednesday, August 4, 2010

LUNCH

I've decided to dip my toe back into the pool of working executives by consulting at a cable network.  I kicked off my part time gig today with a lunch meeting at a popular sushi restaurant in the valley.  It was like returning to the high school cafeteria after a severe bout of mono. Recognizable faces peered out from many of the tables.  Chatter about ratings, writers and the recent resignation of a network president could be overheard.  I marvel at how easily I replaced the business lunch with a hike in the hills followed by a home cooked late afternoon meal.  Without difficulty I had let go of the routine, and the dialogue that accompanied it.  I marvel at how easily I slipped back into the conversation today and how much enjoyment I received from accessing this familiar part of my brain.  When the restaurant began to clear as if a bell had rung to signal the next period I didn't have to rush back to an office for a meeting.  Instead I drove to the farmers market and filled my satchel with ripe stone fruit and fragrant herbs.  What to cook for dinner was the only thought in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment