Friday, May 20, 2011

Cleaning House

One of the first things I did when I left my job was let go of my housekeeper and buy, rather invest in, a Miele vacuum.  I celebrated my freedom by sleeping in, taking road trips and yes, cleaning.  I wanted to nest, and scrubbing my own house came with the territory.  So not surprisingly, one of the first things I did, in anticipation of employment, was hire a housekeeper.   I woke up early to get a jump on organizing and freshening up the house before Blanca's arrival.  My enthusiasm for scouring the bathrooms and polishing the furniture has waned in the last few months, and truth be told, I was eager to relinquish my duties.  Part of me felt guilty as she toiled for hours dismantling my stove and cleaning out the bins in the refrigerator while I read scripts atop my crisp duvet.  In the afternoon, I left for several appointments and upon my return I was greeted by the familiar scent of Murphy's oil.   I walked through my clean house grateful for each new chapter in my life and the subtle shifts that define each one.

No comments:

Post a Comment