Monday, September 29, 2014

Intrepid EM




I first met EM in the early '90s after she befriended my brother at SVA.  We bonded several years later when I found myself unemployed, and able to take spontaneous vacations.  Our first trip was a brief jaunt up the coast in her tricked out custom camper.  Although an air bag problem needing immediate attention stopped us outside of Santa Barbara, and we didn't get much further, it was memorable.  The next one was a road trip to Northern Baja.  We ate fish tacos, found beautiful secluded beaches, and laughed.  Over the years we had two crazy adventures in Kauai, a much needed excursion to Sayulita, and a birthday celebration in Bangkok and Cambodia.

EM is the perfect travel companion to explore the path less traveled, and let the days unfold without  a premeditated plan.  I'm grateful for her wanderlust spirit, fearlessness, and  ease in which she explores new territory.  By the end, we were both looking forward to the comforts of home, but there were so many perfectly absurd moments like practicing salsa in the bathroom, or the waiter, who overheard our conversation and earnestly asked the difference between "I'm so tired" and "I'm so fucking tired" that will be etched in mind forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment