Thursday, September 11, 2014

911

There's no conversation about 911 in Cuba. In fact, the date barely registers. I'm only aware of it now as I reflect on the day's events. I'm sure in the US status updates, and front pages commemorated the event. In Cuba, it was just another day navigating a foreign city that is complicated and somewhat complex especially without the aid of technology. I have to rely on research and books I brought from home to find restaurants or specific sights. Distances are hard to calculate, and weather unpredictable. Tonight we explored the Vedado, and ate in a beautiful restaurant, DeCameron. Prior to my arrival, I had minimal expectations about the food. Thankfully fish is prevalent, vegetables are few, but rice and beans are served at every meal. I'm certainly not starving, but I already miss the fresh and amazing food I eat in my daily life.

Today we spent at the beach, a 20 minute ride outside of Havana. Lots of locals sipping rum and tequila while salsa dancing to musicians playing up and down the swath of white sand. Water was clear, warm and a nice relief from the scorching heat in the city.


No comments:

Post a Comment