Saturday, October 4, 2014

Celebration

In June, I received an email from SJS, a childhood friend, inviting me to Austin in October to celebrate his 50th birthday.  I was distracted, dealing with a crisis or two in the edit room, didn't have time to read all of the details, but immediately replied, "I'm in".  I had no idea what my schedule would like in October, but I committed anyway.  The years are slipping by like sand through my outspread fingers.  Spending time with people I adore is a priority.  Days later I opened the link in the email and saw photos of the place he and his wife rented for the celebration.  An award winning  modern farmhouse on 17 acres of land, 30 miles from downtown Austin.  It was stunning.   
Although we met in 7th grade, our connection is beyond our shared history.  I believe, if we met as adults, we'd still be friends.  We have always had common interests, and hanging out with ease was something we mastered as teenagers.  Geographically, our lives have been out of synch for decades, but over the years we've stayed in touch and managed to see each other.   With excitement I landed in Austin, and started the weekend having margaritas with SJS, his brother whom I hadn't seen since the '80s, and his college roommate whom I met in LA.  

After an art gallery opening, we were treated to an amazing meal at Eden East, a restaurant on a local farm in east Austin.  Under twinkling lights and a rising moon, we were served five spectacular courses.  I can still taste the surprising combination of flavors  in the Gala Apple Gratin -- onion marmalade with wood sorrel and pecan butter.  Serious food, in a casual, festive atmosphere enhanced by live music, inspired cocktails, and love.

The weekend was off to a magnificent start.




No comments:

Post a Comment