Monday, October 27, 2014

Bucket List

I'm not a bucket list sort of person.
 I prefer not to fixate on having specific experiences. 
HOWEVER,
if I did keep a list, being inside The Kaufmann House would be on it.
I don't know what it is about architecture and design that makes my heart flutter,
but it does.
I get a beautiful ache from aestecially pleasing enviornments.

I became aware of The Kaufmann House during visits to Palm Springs, 
years before I became a home owner in the desert.
I was in awe of the house from many published photos.
Then, when I moved to a house down the street from the iconic structure, part of my desert routine was stealing glimpses of the upper level porch rising above the main entrance.
Today I had a private tour of the grounds and house.
IT'S SPECTACULAR
  Grand linear lines puncture the arid landscape. 
Buff-colored sandstone, steel, wood, and glass.
Neutra's vision was to build "a machine in the garden, juxtaposing a foreign, man-made construct onto a wild, unrefined natural setting."  
He achieved his goal, and I crossed something off of my phantom bucket list.
I took photos, but respecting that this is a private residence and I was a guest, I'm not posting them.
the photos below are from the architecture firm Marmol  Radziner
who restored the house beginning in 1993.















No comments:

Post a Comment