Saturday, March 5, 2011

Traffic




I have a new appreciation for traffic in Los Angeles, and for the rules that govern the road.  I may complain about the amount of time it takes to get from point A to point B, but I don't fear for my life every time I cross the street or drive in my car.  There's a reason tourists aren't allowed to rent cars or motorcycles in Siem Reap, the drivers are insane!  There are no stop signs, lights or obvious regulations.  Drivers don't look, yield or stop while merging into traffic.  To cross a street you must step into traffic and hope for the best.  Hesitation could result in injury or a pile up.  Renting a bicycle to tour the Wats was indeed an adventure. Trying to make my way around a rotary without getting hit was comical, and my exasperated expression garnered snickers from the locals.  I was physically and mentally exhausted after my eight hour tour and grateful to have made it back to the hotel in one piece. 

No comments:

Post a Comment