Sunday, March 20, 2011

Comfort








Sometimes I miss the comforts of home especially when it comes to cleanliness, a warm, cozy bed, and a hot shower.  I know I have heating issues in the hills, but I can always count on the sheets being laundered.  I've definitely hit a more rugged portion of my trip.  The last hotel in Hanoi was a dud.  Unfortunately, the ratings and descriptions on sites like Tripadvisor and Travelfish aren't always accurate or my standards are very different than those writing the reviews.  A crappy hotel stay was followed by a twelve hour night train to Sapa.  More uncomfortable than anticipated, loud and turbulent.  The melatonin I took to aid my sleep induced bizarre dreams and restlessness.  When we arrived in Lao Cai, my lower back was numb from hours on a rigid, rocking platform with a thin mattress.  During the hour bus ride further up the mountain, Sapa was initially steeped in fog, but later the clouds cleared and gave way to a glorious summit.  My hotel was less than splendid, another disappointment from the online community.  I looked to find a more suitable accommodation upon checking in, but the spectacular, tasteful boutique hotel, Sapa Rooms, on the corner was booked.  After several other no vacancies I was resigned to staying put in a  room without heat and air laden with varnish from repairs to the lobby doors..  I'm planning on a long ambien induced sleep to prepare for my two day trek tomorrow.   For all of my discomfort, and whining Sapa is one of the most breathtaking places I've ever experienced.  My hike to Cat Cat, village of the Hmong ethnic minority group, was blissful and slow-going due to the many photos I snapped along the way.   I remind myself, being outside of my comfort zone is temporary, as is being on such an amazing adventure.

1 comment: