Sunday, November 21, 2010

Surprise

As my parents were packing and getting ready to return to New Jersey out of town friends began arriving for my brother's surprise party.  Days were spent shopping, baking, cooking and cleaning.  Two hours before the party, I had an unexpected surprise,  my downstairs bathroom flooded.  Water gushed into the hallway and  continued to flow into the master bedroom and closet.  Use of all plumbing was off limits.   My immediate response, "I can't deal with this right now",  quickly shifted to laughter and a call to Roto Rooter.  My shower was reduced to brushing my teeth and shaving my legs with a Tupperware of cold water on my patio.  The snake, grinding in and out of my pipes, could barely be heard over the party playlist as friends started to arrive.  I hushed the guests as the phone rang thinking it was the warning call from the friend who was delivering my brother to the party.  It was Roto Rooter following up on the quality of the service.  The actual birthday surprise went off without a hitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment