Thursday, September 23, 2010

Santa Claus

There's a specific reason why I chose I Believe in Santa Clause as the name for this blog. And although I may not always be the best speller I do know there shouldn't be an e on the end of Claus.  It is there because the proper way was taken.  I was reminded of my blog title as I was shooting my self portrait today.  My tripod was several feet away from where I needed to stand, and in retrospect flip flops were not the best shoes for running across the desert scrub and hopping on a boulder.  As I was propping myself up, a yellow bucket tucked behind a rock caught my eye.  As I looked further, I realized what was hanging off the rim was a message specifically for me.

The holiday movie Miracle on 34th Street became an annual favorite after I viewed it for the first time when I was eight.  I immediately related to Natalie Wood's character, Susan, since I was already aware Santa Claus was as real as a talking horse.  Two years prior my brother had purposefully awoken me on Christmas Eve just in time to watch our parents put Santa's gifts under the tree.  Susan leaves Kris's Christmas party without receiving the one present she asked for, yet she uncharacteristically continues to believe.  In the darkest moment her belief in the spirit of Christmas shines through.  Staring out the car window as if in a trance she continuously mumbles "I believe".  Her dream manifested.   She didn't have to see Kris' cane leaning against the fireplace in her dream house to feel his presence.  My faith got the perfect jolt today.  Hanging from the yellow Tidy Cat bucket were two candy canes.  What they were doing in the middle of the desert on a 100 degree September afternoon is anyone's guess, but what they symbolized to me was perfectly clear.  I believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment