Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Playa


I was supposed to be leaving for Burning Man today, but my camp fell through. Hence,  I find myself longing for the playa.  For those who have never been, the annual event in Nevada sparks inquiries with raised eyebrows and cheshire grins.  Yes, there's nudity and drugs, but it is SO MUCH MORE than the sum of those two parts.  My first trek to Black Rock City was in 2003 and I've returned on four other occasions.  My faith in humanity was restored by the spirit and generosity I encountered among my fellow revelers.  What I'll miss the most is the awe-inspiring art and the massive display of creative expression.  On a barren, desolate salt bed with no water or electricity, a city which rivals modern day Vegas and ancient Rome, is erected.  In a logo saturated world, Burning Man is devoid of corporate trademarks. Commerce, money, and greed don't exist in  this civilization which annually vanishes after a mere seven days.  If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, experienced it with every cell in my body, I wouldn't think it was possible.  It's the impermanence of Burning Man that has created such a vivid imprint in my mind and heart.  Luckily, as a result I can experience it any day from anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment