Thursday, August 26, 2010

Alterations

After completing THE WISHING YEAR I reached for the next book on top of my nightstand, TEN POEMS TO CHANGE YOUR LIFE.  A lofty title, I thought, but by page two of Roger Housden's introduction my highlighter was racing across the page, my jaw agape.
So this is a book that aims to alert readers to whisperings under their own skin, hunches in their own gut.  It is not for poetry lovers alone, but for everyone who knows there is more to life than they are presently living.  I intend it as a book of inspiration and awakening.
I was certain Roger was speaking directly to me.   I literally felt my heart releasing as I read these lines from Mary Oliver's The Journey
though the voices around you
          keep shouting

          their bad advice --

          though the whole house

          began to tremble

          and you felt the old tug

          at your ankles.

          "Mend my life!"

           each voice cried.

           But you didn't stop.

and Housden's analysis
A journey like this goes against the prevailing current.  It requires you to step out of line, to break with polite society.  Other people will feel the ripples, and they won't like it.  Any authentic movement usually requires a break with the past -- not because the past is bad, but because it is so difficult for a deeper truth to make itself known among the accretions of habit and conformity.

Brilliant!  And this was only the beginning.   I had to force myself to put the book down, pause, take a break and savor this literary work.  In The Time Before Death Kabir writes
If you don't break your ropes while you're alive
          do you think

          ghosts will do it after?

Housden's analysis gave me goosebumps
The ropes that bind you are your beliefs and preconceptions about how life is.  Kabir is urging you to break free of your belief systems and unexamined attitudes.  Whether you are on the brink of welcoming the inner lover, or in the midst of a challenging situation in your daily life, the sky will always grow bigger when you loosen your beliefs about how it is all meant to go.  Nothing can be more life changing than an escape from your own preconception.
NOTHING CAN BE MORE LIFE CHANGING THAN AN ESCAPE FROM YOUR OWN PRECONCEPTION!


2 comments:

  1. I've been feeling a little disconnected, having sent my baby boy to college last week, feeling very much as if my life too is now supposed to change. Wanting it to change, ready for the middle aged version of college, which I think includes leaving my comfort zone, stepping out into the unknown, making new friends, deciding what I want to be when I grow up, without breakouts in my t-zone and the cheap beer. And so I found myself surfing the net, looking for inspiration, stalling (my life can wait stalling) when I thought of you and the fact that I had never looked up your blog. So I found you, and I read, and scrolled, and came to this post. The one I was supposed to read tonight. Funny how that happens. I've just ordered the book. I think I might have to start a blog. It's a step. I'll keep you posted.

    I hope you're well, in spite of the congestion. Hopefully I'll see you soon. Thanks for the inspiration.

    Esther (Deb's friend)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Esther,

    It's so nice to hear from you! I just saw your posting. The book is fantastic. Hope you enjoy it. I highly recommend blogging.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete