Sunday, June 12, 2016

Jazz Age Lawn Party

In the past I've written about my love affair with Manhattan.
The years I lived here, the years I visited as a child,
and the years I returned on business trips and social sojourns.
So it amazes me that there are still many parts of the city I've never explored,
like Governor's Island.
A brisk two minute ferry ride from the South Street,
the island sits at the tip of Manhattan. 
Until 1996, the island was a full service military base, 
and although it housed military families it was off limit to the public.
In 2003 the land was transferred to the City and State of NY,
and Clinton designated 22 acres as a National Park.
In 2014 Phase I opened,
and events are drawing crowds during the summer months.
The most ambitious plans have yet to be completed.
Outlook Hill, rising 70 feet, will offer unparalleled views of the Statue of Liberty.
Slide Hill will be home to a 57 foot long slide.
Today the island hosted a Jazz Age Lawn Party
where Gatsby and Daisy would have blended in with the champagne sipping crowd.
The event was pure eye candy for me and Madwhip.
There was a bounty of Go West subjects who graciously let us aim our lens in their direction.







No comments:

Post a Comment