Sunday, May 8, 2016

Hauser, Wirth & Schimmel

Every time I'm downtown I'm amazed by the city's continuing transformation.
Since my last visit to the arts district, two months ago
a mega gallery has opened.
Hauser, Wirth & Schimmel, more like a museum than a gallery, 
occupies 116,000 square feet,
and spills into a courtyard with a soon to be open restaurant.
The complex is anchored by a two-story building, built in 1917,
that once served as the administrative center and employee bank for a flour mill company.
The inaugural exhibit is Revolution in the Making: Abstract Sculpture by Women, 1947-2016.
My favorite works were Ruth Asawa's crocheted wire sculptures.

The art scene in DTLA is exploding!
My every changing city brings me so much pleasure.
The notion that I would one day out grow this city
especially when my career no longer anchors me here,
is being challenged my the new developments downtown.



No comments:

Post a Comment