Monday, May 26, 2014

One Month

A month ago when the vet told me over the phone it was best if I put you down, I agreed.
She asked if I could get there quickly.
My heart sank, "no".  
I sobbed when I hung up the phone, and a deep well has been in my stomach ever since.
I've been home without you for two weeks.
 I expect to see your little paw under the bathroom door when I get out of the shower in the morning.   I expect to find you sunning in various places in the house as you follow the sun.  I think I hear your meows late an night, and your paws on the floorboards as I try to sleep below. 
I expect you to climb over writers during my meetings in the living room.
I expect you everywhere.  This was, after all, your house.
You occupied every inch with your big, humorous personality.
 I still can't believe you're not just on an extended romp in the canyon.
I can't believe you're really gone.

2 comments: