Saturday, April 27, 2013

Monkey


On occasion, after a few days away, Monkey can be a little cheeky, seeking more time outside than by my side.  So when I returned from Big Sur, and I couldn't find him, I assumed he was on the roof tops playing.  I was disturbed when I found him hiding in the dark corner of the guest room closet, nose to the wall.  This was a very unusual hangout.  He only came out when I scooped him in my arms, and then quickly retreated when I put him down.  I force fed him milk and protein shakes, holding the bowls under his mouth until he took a few reluctant laps. Consequently, he was wobbly and listless, severely dehydrated and bony.  After routine tests came back normal, the vet posited that my recent three night jaunt disturbed his routine.  I gave up trying to explain our independent relationship, and his super cool attitude.  I embraced the one positive outcome from his dramatic behavioral shift; a calm disposition in the car replaced his typical high anxiety and panting.   I had a big victory on day six when he finally ate a few morsels of tuna.  Today he's been the most normal -- meowing for food, following me around the house, and curling up next to me on the couch.  I'll probably never have an explanation for what caused this peculiar change, but I truly hope it's behind us.

No comments:

Post a Comment