Saturday, April 13, 2013

Big Sur


Woke in time to watch the sun burst over the ridge, dappled light filled the cabin.  There was truly no need to leave, but in time I did.  I traveled four miles south to a trailhead in Andrew Molera State Park.  Blue skies, less windy than yesterday, and a warm 64 degrees made it a perfect hiking day. A path through a meadow of wildflowers dumped me at a spectacular beach.  I continued on a 2-mile path along the bluffs, waves cresting below.  A strenuous, uphill climb provided spectacular coastline views, and then the terrain dramatically changed.  I found myself in a lyken, redwood forest, a soft bed of pine needles under foot.

It doesn’t escape me that several weeks ago I was yearning for a mini adventure somewhere in nature, untrodden trails, and oodles of tranquility.  And then here I was, surrounded by abundant spring, my itch so satisfyingly scratched.  I don’t take any of it for granted.  
















My feet were well aware that in slightly over 3 hours I trekked 9 miles.  I needed some cabin time, and a hot soak under the pines.  Renewed, I returned to Big Sur Bakery for a meal.  I sat at the bar for an early dinner, and  was very tempted to feast solely on bread.  However, I refrained, and ordered braised octopus with beluga lentils.  Heaven. Amazing to find such high-end food in such a remote location.  



My muscles felt wonderfully fatigued, exhaustion so enjoyable because I had nothing else to do but surrender, and give in to the feeling.  Time to stoke the wood burning stove and crawl under the covers.

No comments:

Post a Comment