Monday, April 1, 2013

Displaced

I embraced my weekend displacement, and made the most of experiencing Los Angeles from a different vantage point.  A generous friend who is out of town lent me her apartment, ironically a half of block from where I lived 18 years ago.  The street, one of my favorites in the city, is unchanged, but the growth around it is undeniable.   I drive around this neighborhood often, but I don't really know it in an "I live here" sort of way.  I'm a creature of habit, and my weekends have an easy familiar routine close to home, so instead of going to my familiar places, I shifted my compass this weekend.  I explored several streets on foot, and wandered in and out of stores, and cafes as if I was a tourist, camera around my neck.  I went to a different yoga studio, and farmers market.  I've been on vacation in my own city.  This respite from my finely grooved schedule made me see my city with slightly different eyes, and appreciate all that I have.








No comments:

Post a Comment