Sunday, January 13, 2013

GIRLS and . . . boys


I LOVE the girls in GIRLS, but it's the boys, particularly Adam, who surprised me in season one.  Admittedly, I initially put him in a box, labeled him as a certain type of guy, a boyfriend Hannah could learn from, but should ultimately move on from.  His profundity in The Bushwick Warehouse Party changed my opinion.  "You never ask me anything, besides ‘does this feel okay?’ or ‘do you like my skirt?’ or ‘how much is your rent?’ I’m not gonna fuckin’ talk your ear off about shit you don't ask about. You don’t wanna know me."  He called Hannah on her narcissism, and my attention immediately shifted to his point of view in the relationship, how he'd been responding to her behavior.  Hearing his side of the story was a brilliant shift in story telling.  It underscored the importance of communication and gave the relationship validity to grow.  In anticipation of tonight's season two premiere, The New York Times writes about the boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment