Thursday, April 21, 2011

Trippy

After hiking to a mountain peak this morning I sat cross legged on a boulder over looking a canyon,  soothed by the sound of gushing water 1500 feet below.  I was taken out of my reverie by the drone of flapping wings.  To my right a hummingbird fluttered and hovered over my shoulder darting closer and closer to my face.  I closed my eyes again, thought turned to the bird that shat on my hand during yesterday's sunset stroll, then I surrendered to the brilliant morning.  A few minutes passed.  Eyes opened, I gazed into the ravine and was startled to see the earth pulsing.  I squeezed my eyes shut in an attempt to clear the fog, but the vibration was still there when I opened them again.  Bizarre, no rational explanation, I wasn't dizzy, dehydrated or hungry.   The vision lasted thirty seconds and then it was gone.   Later, I sat on chaise in my backyard reading when a loud buzzing sound broke the silence.  Not one, but two hummingbirds approached me, gazed into my eyes and darted across the pool.   As the sun started to descend, a heavy wind rustled through the palm trees.  I was admiring the spectacular light on the mountain when a seagull flew into the glow.  Yes, a seagull in the desert.  Hokey perhaps, but I feel like the universe is trying to tell me something.  I'm listening.

1 comment: