Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Serenity

Sometimes familiar words and phrases, heard too often, can lose their meaning.  In my quest to let go, surrender and accept certain aspects of my life the serenity prayer crept into my mind.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

The prayer succinctly frames my dilemma and pinpoints my internal conflict.  I vacillate between both courses, and if I start down one path I often retreat, talking myself out of it.  I end of living in the conflict -- to accept or not to accept, to change or not to change.  Yes, wisdom is the key ingredient in this equation.  I'm fine tuning my request to let go.  I'm asking for wisdom to point my compass in the proper direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment