Sunday, May 26, 2013

PS Museum

Two wonderful exhibits at the PS Museum.  Rauschenberg at Gemini offers a survey of the artist’s production at the renowned Los Angeles print-publishing workshop Gemini G.E.L.  There were several works I wouldn't mind hanging on my walls at home, but if I had to choose just one, it would be DAZE from his speculations series.  This large silkscreen print produced from his photographs was part of his first series to focus solely on the medium of screenprinting.  Perhaps it's because this weekend is the unofficial start to summer, but this image conjures up lazy, sunny days.


The title of the second exhibit, Beg, Borrow and Steal, is attributed to Picasso: “Good artists borrow, great artists steal.” This show from the Rubell's private collection presents artists’ attempts to build on the legacies of their predecessors as they present their own new ideas.  The canvas from this exhibit I'd gladly cart home is David Salle's Rainy Night in Rubber City.  Can't find a lot of information on this acrylic painting, but it immediately moved me when I entered the room.



No comments:

Post a Comment