Saturday, August 4, 2012

Eulogy

My cousin Chris, who was unable to attend my father's funeral, wrote the eulogy and his sister bravely read it in his absence.  I'm grateful that as adults my cousins are part of my life in a very significant way.  Our connection outweighs our shared past, for our overlapping interests connect us in the present.  I adore them, just as my father did.
 Uncle Mike would talk to strangers at gas stations. He'd start a whole conversation with somebody he didn't even know. And yes, sometimes he'd talk so long with people they would roll their eyes. I was always observant of this. It was his way of experiencing the world and showing everyone that they are worth something.
He was also unpredictable. He took me on my birthday for a car ride once when I was a junior in high school. We ended up at an airport. He got out, and said nothing. I followed him into the airport garage. I was busy looking at a plane and he was talking with a mechanic at a desk. I figured it was just typical Uncle Mike, talking with a stranger. Then casually, Uncle Mike turned to me and said "you like these planes? C'mon kid, you're gonna fly one today."

He walked with me and the mechanic out onto the air field. It was windy, cloudy, and it was cold. He put his fedora on me and helped me into the plane. 

I noticed it only had two seats, and the mechanic climbed into the other one. Uncle Mike wasn't going up with me. I felt really nervous. I didn't know the flight mechanic. I wanted my Uncle up there with me!

Uncle Mike smiled, slammed the plane door and walked away. The plane started and I was anxious. I just got my driver's licence a few month ago and I was going to fly!?

The mechanic hit the pedal and literally handed the controls over to me. The plane started to move, lifted up, and I was up in the air. 

I looked down. Before long, Uncle Mike was a tiny dot on the ground. But I knew even if he wasn't in the plane with me, he was sharing the adventure. I went higher and higher. I broke through the overcast skies and it was sunny. I could see Manhattan. I was really flying.

When I landed I couldn't wait to see my Uncle. I ran over from the plane to the garage area. He was beaming with a smile. I learned that even though I wanted him there with me, sometimes you have to take chances on your own. You have to go out on your own adventures. It doesn't mean the people you love won't be there for you in spirit. 

When I was in grade school I spent many afternoons trying my best to imitate my Uncle Mike's watercolors. Sometimes the wind would blow so hard it would flip his water over and splash it all over his painting. He'd laugh and just work the mess into the painting as if it was always part of the plan.

That's how I remember him. I remember how he dealt with life. He embraced it, even as he was getting older. He didn't take things too seriously and just dealt with what life handed to him. He's a person who will be forever associated with life, love, creativity, and adventure. 

I am thankful for every second we all got to experience life with him at our side and the enduring memory of a great man. We will cherish him forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment