Saturday, April 30, 2011

Wolf's Lair



One of my preferred hang outs is the narrow wooden deck off my living room perched high above the trees, overlooking the canyon.  This balcony has been host to many social gatherings, confessional conversations and morning thoughts over tea.  To the left, views of Hollywood give way to the ocean which often shimmers in the late afternoon sun.  The houses dotting the hillside are as familiar to me as the lines marking my face.  My favorite is a white turreted castle known as Wolf's Lair built in the same year as my house, 1927, by a real estate developer, L. Milton Wolf.  A two story guest house was added in the '50s by modernist architect John Lautner.  Rumors swirl about previous tenants, Doris Day, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, the heir to the RJ Reynolds fortune, as well as the newest owner, Moby.  On recent hikes, I noticed the house was getting a face lift.  The stunning results were revealed in today's NEW YORK TIMES.

No comments:

Post a Comment