Monday, April 4, 2011

Drink Your Tea

I'm racing towards the future, caught up in what will happen, what won't, wondering if I need to consider plan B.  I'm getting ahead of myself, pushed by a slow anxious force, second guessing my choices, labeling them folly.  The unknown, like a wrapped Christmas present found in my mother's closet, is teasing me.  Then I read this poem by Thich Nhat Hahn and remember everything that lead me to this moment.  I'm powerless over what will be, so many moving parts, so many variables.  And the past is an accumulation of moments in my review mirror.  I only have now.

Drink your tea slowly and reverently,
as if it is the axis
on which the world earth revolves
- slowly, evenly, without
rushing toward the future;
Live the actual moment.
Only this moment is life.

No comments:

Post a Comment