Monday, November 16, 2020

Godspeed, My Friend

I want to live the rest of my life, however long or short
with as much sweetness as I can decently manage,
loving all the people I love,
and doing as much as I can of the work I still have to do.
I'm going to go out like a fucking meteor!
Audre Lorde

Diagnosed with brain cancer in February,
my friend embraced his fate with grace, clarity and love.
I have never witnessed such profound endearment of life and therefore death.
The trappings of everyday life that often distract us from our truth 
fell to the wayside during our conversations.
This was particularly evocative during a challenging year of Covid 19 and a toxic election cycle.
His perspective was always one of gratitude and serendipity.
His last words to me were, "I'm a lucky man. I feel so fortunate."
An incredibly gifted writer, he worked until the end, deriving immense joy from telling stories.
And now we go forth with our stories of Dave Dilley.
A gentle soul in the body of a rock-solid rugby player
who amassed a bounty of loving friends on his vast adventures.
He died the way he lived with elegance and integrity. 
You will be deeply missed, my friend.





  

2 comments: