Friday, July 26, 2019

To be a Local

In my early 20s I had a summer share in Newport, RI.
A summer ritual was ferrying over to Block Island
with our bikes and touring the island for the day.
I hadn't thought about those experiences for decades.
Riding around Shelter Island on a bike brought the memories right back.
I can't specifically recall the streets or main part of the town,
but the specificity of the adventure was vivid while my bike wheels hit asphalt on SI.

Starting to crave a month in a place like this where the pace slows way down
and an abundance of nature is my daily companion.
I'd like my main mode of transportation to be a bicycle.
A day wouldn't pass without a salt water baptism.
The faces at the beach and IGA would become more and more familiar,
and I'd start behaving more like a local.








No comments:

Post a Comment