Thursday, January 16, 2014

The Goldfinch


Wow.
  My second read of the year was a hefty one; Donna Tartt's critically acclaimed 775 page tome,
 The Goldfinch.
  Was concerned I wouldn't have the time to dedicate to this novel given my hectic schedule,
but once I started I couldn't put this book down.
  All day, I looked forward to unwinding with Theo and Boris,
 and I'd awake with the sun to sneak in a few more hours before starting my day.
  Some books transport me, and with each page I feel like I was living someone's else.
 A vivid dream that haunted me during waking hours.
Grief, the heart in captivity, abandondonment, and self destructive behavior.
Palpable loneliness, and secrets that spiral out of control.
The book's title comes from a famous Dutch painting of a little bird chained to his feed box.
In Theo's words:
“There’s only a tiny heartbeat and solitude, bright sunny wall, and a sense of no escape.  Time that doesn’t move, time that couldn’t be called time. And trapped in the heart of light: the little prisoner, unflinching.”

No comments:

Post a Comment