Sunday, January 9, 2011

Epiphany

What to do when someone wants something from you that you're unwilling to give?  Is it selfish to hold one's ground?  Perhaps.  Or maybe it's what it means to have boundaries even if they are met with an unfavorable response.  That's the epiphany I had this morning when I realized the tension/conflict I'm experiencing in a relationship is because I've changed my behavior.  I'm not willing or interested in going to the same old well.  The proverbial dry shaft has nothing to offer me.  In fact, I find it draining, toxic and yet my desire not to go there has been met with strong resistance.  A weaker self would ponder if returning to the old familiar space is the lesser of two evils, and perhaps acquiesce in order to avoid the inevitable wrath that comes my way.  But I know better.  Suppressing my awareness and inclination are never the best path.  Yet, where do I go from here?  Is there a way to evolve from this impasse with grace and mutual satisfaction?  I hope so, but only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment