Saturday, February 5, 2011

Why It's Easier to Find a Couch Online Than a Man


Perhaps I should rephrase that, why IS it easier to find a couch online than a man?  I’ve often pondered this question on long hikes or in the last few waking minutes before my eyelids are laden with sleep.   Friends who have been in relationships since before the internet dating boom often express their desire to experience this modern portal to romance. I agree, in theory it sounds too good to be true.  A virtual catalog of men, available twenty-four seven, sorted by preferences and ranked by similarities. And yet the more I partake in online dating, the more I feel like I’m looking for a needle in a haystack.  It's crossed my mind I may be looking in the wrong haystack, but haystack jumping is exhausting and costly.   I know a man isn’t a headboard, car or dining room table, all things I’ve found online, and therefore encountering one is much more complicated.  Chemistry, timing, geography, compatibility, proclivities, and attraction need to be factored into the equation, things difficult to accurately ascertain from an advertisement.  Perhaps I’m destined to meet him the old fashioned way, across the room at a party, on a bar stool, or in the produce aisle at Trader Joe’s. 

2 comments:

  1. Online failed for me.

    I met my fiance at the bar in a restaurant in an old factory loft where I lived.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found my Beautiful Couch online. It was the right colour, the desired size, the ideal texture, even the provenance suited me . . . in other words The Perfect Harmonious Fit..."-)

    ReplyDelete