Friday, February 18, 2011

Spacey





I skidded along The Milky Way, soared towards Orion's Belt and sailed through it into the Nebula's brightly colored gasses.  I smiled, giggled and gasped on this ride, one of the best journeys of my life.  Yes, I was sitting in an IMAX movie theater the entire time, watching 3D images from the Hubble Telescope, but the experience felt as real as if I was an astronaut in space.  Trillions of galaxies, planets and stars.  The universe more vast and brilliant than one can imagine, sparkling like gems on a black velvet cloth.  And yet it was the familiar that made me weep.  From the Hubble Telescope the image below was immediately recognizable.  Glittering green islands in a sea of blue, wisps of clouds overhead  -- Hawaii.   The earth looked stunning from this vantage point, pure and radiant.   Pollution, traffic, corruption, disease indistinguishable from this depth.  So much to discover beyond what the eye can see, beyond what we already know.  Seems impossible to emphatically believe we are the only beings in this immense cosmos.

2 comments:

  1. wow you saw it !
    i so loved that movie, if you remember i was some what into the space program growing up, and still am.
    guess who

    ReplyDelete
  2. FINALLY saw it -- so much easier when things are in PS. I thought of you the whole time. I remember your obsession with space quite well. The film was spectacular!

    ReplyDelete