Saturday, May 21, 2011

OW

In 2001 when I purchased my first DVR I began to sample many series I had never viewed before.  I initially added the "The Oprah Winfrey Show" to my queue as a resource for development since I knew many episodes focused on groundbreaking topics and trends.  However, within a few weeks I was hooked and TOWS became my guilty pleasure, the first show I watched when I wanted to unwind at night.  I found inspiration in the many triumphant guests, tales of abject loss, and the power of forgiveness.  I concurred with much of O's philosophy, her passion for fiction, and her strong spiritual outlook.  Ironically, my desire to live my best life, to give something back, and to find meaning in my career lead me straight to her couch.  For a brief time Oprah was my boss and I came to know her as much more than just a persona on my flat screen television.  Our interaction has had a huge impact on my life, in ways I never imagined possible, during a course of events I couldn't have dare dreamed.  Today, as I watched the penultimate week of episodes on my DVR, I realized how much I'm going to miss her.  Her voice is a familiar presence in my living room and when her show stays true to its authentic vision it is intoxicating.  I've experienced Oprah's chaotic schedule, so in this next chapter, I wish for her space to breathe, to just be, and the courage to put her self first, the very gifts she gave me.

No comments:

Post a Comment