Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Butch and Sundance


In my online art class I've waded through weeks of painting, collage and doodling with varying degrees of exuberance and results.  Thus, I was elated on Monday to read this week's focus would be photography, a medium I've spent the last few months perfecting.  Interestingly, the first assignment was to forget any knowledge of the camera, abandon the correct exposure to get a predictable outcome, and instead let play guide the process.  The entire class has been rooted in this philosophy, to color outside of the lines, so I shouldn't have been surprised.  I turned to an unlikely source, my DVR, for inspiration and clicked on one of my favorite flicks, BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID.  Light spilled into my TV room casting shadows on the handsome, rugged faces on my flat screen.  I zoomed and panned across desert scrub and mountainous peaks.  I followed the bank robbers from Wyoming to Bolivia.   My shutter clicked over 200 times.  I lost track of time.  I was reminded of a conversation I had just had with a friend about the unique, and comical way, the universe often answers our questions.   I smiled, finally hearing the message I'd been getting.  There is no correct way to do something, there is no right path.  The ever changing road I'm on is one of experimentation and surprise, and it will always be more enjoyable if I remember to just let go.

1 comment:

  1. Genius. (The giveaway was the use of the word "perfecting." As if!) Also, a gorgeous photo. (Unsurprisingly).

    ReplyDelete